Sunday, February 13, 2011

TextView background is black when setting colour from xml?


I had a colour defined in a 'colours.xml' file in my project's 'values' folder like so:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<resources>
    <color name="tvBackground">#337700</color>
</resources>

Which, for those of you who cannot transpose directly from hex, looks like this:

My code looked like this:

   TextView tv = new TextView(getApplicationContext());
       
   tv.setBackgroundColor(R.color.tvBackground);

Seems reasonable doesn't it?

But when I ran my code, my shiny new little TextView came out with the background colour of this:


(that's #000000 in hex, or 'black' btw)

What was going on here?
Turns out, I wasn't using the correct method to set the background colour so that it comes out correctly, what I should have used was either of these:

   tv.setBackgroundResource(R.color.tvBackground);
- or -
   tv.setBackgroundColor(getResources().getColor(R.color.tvBackground));


.. Not especially well documented, but easily fixed.


Anyhow, now my TextView shows with the background colour of:


.. So all is now well with the world. Thought I'd just post this in case it helps someone out there (or myself when I forget next time)


until that next time, bye bye.


No comments:

Post a Comment